Help me choose my new author photo

I recently had new photos taken.  This is always stressful for me, which is one of the reasons I was a photographer once upon a time.  I far prefer being behind the camera than before it.  But books need photos, and I have a compulsion to keep them current.

That said, it isn’t a simple undertaking.  I can’t speak for other authors, but this is what a shoot entails for me.

1.  Choose a photographer and set a date.

There have been times in the past when I was all over the place trying to pick a person, but the choice was relatively easy this time.  Based on personal recommendation and her amazing celebrity photos, I knew that I wanted to work with Kerry Brett.  Since my last photos were taken outdoors and had been a scheduling nightmare of rain and humidity, I also knew that this time I wanted a studio shot.  Kerry’s studio is in Hingham, Massachusetts, an easy 45-minute drive from my home.

We picked Wednesday, June 27, 2012, for the shoot.  I wanted to get it done before summer, so that I wouldn’t stress the summer away, and what with Kerry being busy with Christmas photos pretty much from September on, a June date worked for her, too.

2.  Hire makeup artist.

At Kerry’s recommendation, I hired Dianna Quagenti, with whom she often works.  The deal was that I would meet Dianna at Kerry’s studio having made myself up with the look I like, then she would smooth, accentuate, or modify what I’d done to make it perfect for the shoot.

3.  Make appointments for hair and nails.

These things matter.  Easy phone calls took care of both.

4.  Choose clothes and props.

This was the tough part.  I took things out, tried them on, put them back.  I talked with Kerry about colors of my clothes and her backgrounds.  I took other things out, tried them on, put them back.

5.  Re-choose clothes and props.

More trying on and putting back.  Some buying and returning.  The process was endless.  Midway, I sent Kerry phone shots of various dresses, jackets, scarves.  Regarding props, we discussed the possibility of my holding a pile of books (decided against it) and a laptop (went with this).

6.  Diet.

Actually, it was more a question of taking care, in the three days leading up to the shoot, to avoid those foods that might make me bloated (carbonated soda, airy frozen yogurt) or puffy (cold cuts, Chinese food, anything else heavy on salt).  I mean, yeah, it would be great to lose ten pounds prior to a photo shoot, but experience told me that wasn’t going to happen.

7.  Sleep.

It’s the one thing that can make or break the way you look.  It’s also the one thing that is hardest to do when you’re as nervous as I was about this shoot.

That said, by the time I arrived at the photographer’s studio, my job was done.  I pretty much sat there and let the makeup woman do her thing, then let Kerry decide which of my outfits went with which backgrounds.

It was fascinating to watch Kerry – her thoughtfulness, tipping her head this way and that as she analyzed me and the light, asking me to tip my head this way or that, having me turn a bit to the right or left, to sit or stand, always her thoughtfulness.

Two weeks after the shoot, I returned to Kerry’s studio.  Of 500 shots, she had chosen the best 100.  We sifted through those, hoping to boil it down to five, but the shots were so good that I couldn’t choose fewer than nine.

Of those, folks, here are the final three.  What do you think?  I’ve given each a caption.  Which would you like to see on the cover of Sweet Salt Air?

Awesome Outdoors

Goin’ Green

Purple Passion

Posted in

192 Comments

1. Avatar Joy Harris on September 12, 2012 at 5:33 am

Awesome outdoors

• Avatar Elaine Urbanowic on September 12, 2012 at 6:13 am

Use the awesome out doors’ picture. Can’t wait for the next book.

• Avatar Karen on September 12, 2012 at 11:03 am

They are all very good, but i agree with the other postings that the awesome outdoors is the best.

• Avatar Laurie Laporte on September 12, 2012 at 7:10 am

I have to agree with the previous post. They are all stunning photos, but I like Awesome Outdoors the best.

• Avatar Shabneez Coorbanally on September 12, 2012 at 9:09 am

Awesome outdoors definitely. It even suits the title of the book.

• Avatar Jennifer J on September 12, 2012 at 9:56 am

I totally agree! You took the words out of my mouth, or fingers or whatever….

• Avatar P.A.M. on September 12, 2012 at 10:18 am

Awesome outdoors!

• Avatar Tracey L. Howell Fielder on September 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Pick Awesome outdoor, I love your books.

• Avatar Evelyn Archer on September 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Wow! What a choice. I love them all but I have to go with purple passion…….I LOVE purple!

• Avatar ROSE BEAULIEU on September 12, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I like the “Awesome Outdoor and that is the one you should choose for your cover

2. Avatar melissa on September 12, 2012 at 5:39 am

Oh I can understand the stress!! Wow. However … worth it, look how gorgeous these photos are! They are all completely stunning. My favourite is the Awesome Outdoors – you look so chic, so relaxed … somehow for me that goes with the outdoorsy sound of Sweet Salt Air, if that makes sense? 🙂

3. Avatar Ana Rodrigues on September 12, 2012 at 6:00 am

Hi, Barbara! All the three photos are great. But I agree with the two comments above: Awake Outdoors has the feeling of Sweet Salt AIr. And you are beaultiful and looking so happy in it.

4. Avatar flortessa on September 12, 2012 at 6:05 am

The first picture is most perfect, because like your novel sweet salt air, it’s shows refreshing background and bright face of the author as well the novel:)

• Avatar Marion Goodell on September 12, 2012 at 9:14 am

Hands down…awesome outdoors

5. Avatar julie barrett on September 12, 2012 at 6:05 am

best is purple, adds a lot of color

6. Avatar Heidi Grotton on September 12, 2012 at 6:09 am

Hi Barbara, I think they are all wonderful but my favorite is the first one. Awesome Outdoors!!

7. Avatar Pierret Sandie on September 12, 2012 at 6:11 am

Awesome outdoors

8. Avatar Jonie on September 12, 2012 at 6:13 am

I would go for Awesome outdoors!

9. Avatar Amier Kei Sakauchi on September 12, 2012 at 6:14 am

I love all your pictures.

I most love the awesome outdoors tho.

10. Avatar Cheri on September 12, 2012 at 6:14 am

I love them all but the first one out doors is the best!

11. Avatar Chris Jenkins on September 12, 2012 at 6:15 am

I agree, Awesome Outdoors is the one to use! The other two are beautiful, but that one just stands out.

12. Avatar Kay on September 12, 2012 at 6:16 am

Well I understand the problem in choosing because they are all beautiful of you. But if you had to choose, the Purple Passion one lights up your face. The color purple is very good on you.

13. Avatar Jill Schneider on September 12, 2012 at 6:16 am

Awesome outdoors,it is just very natural and looks like the real you.

14. Avatar Theresa Stevens on September 12, 2012 at 6:18 am

Awesome Outdoors!!!!

15. Avatar Margaret on September 12, 2012 at 6:22 am

I think you should use the third picture, Purple Passion.

16. Avatar Judie Bouldry on September 12, 2012 at 6:24 am

I love the awesome outdoors….def. the winner.

17. Avatar Kristie on September 12, 2012 at 6:24 am

I think that it should be the amazing outdoors. I feel it suits the book as well.

18. Avatar Patty Donovan on September 12, 2012 at 6:24 am

Awsome Outdoors

19. Avatar realizacjamarzen1.blogspot.com on September 12, 2012 at 6:29 am

Awesome Outdoors is the best!! You should choose it!:)

20. Avatar Diane D. on September 12, 2012 at 6:30 am

I really like the outdoor one the best! I can see it on the back cover of your next book!

21. Avatar Louise Jolly on September 12, 2012 at 6:35 am

Barbara, you DEFINITELY have to go with “Purple Passion”. The colours are vibrant and bring the natural beauty in your face. You look absolutely stunning in this photo. The outdoors one is not close enough and you look a tad pale and the green just doesn’t cut it. Scarf is waaay too big. Go with the “purple”!!!

Love ya!!
    xoxo ~~

22. Avatar Holly Whitehead on September 12, 2012 at 6:36 am

Aw. Outdoors!!!

23. Avatar Regenia Shipley on September 12, 2012 at 6:41 am

All of the Photo’s are Awesome but the Awesome Outdoors will go better with the title of “Sweet Salt Air.” I think you should only use it for this title and change it to the “Purple Passion.” for the next book! Can’t wait to read this book. I just know it will be as awesome as all the rest. You are the Best!!!

24. Avatar Pamela Ruth-Ortiz on September 12, 2012 at 6:41 am

I love the outdoor one! It compliments your coloring and makes the picture really pop!!!! 🙂

25. Avatar Charlotte Fowler on September 12, 2012 at 6:44 am

I prefer the Purple Passion. Really looking forward to your new book.

26. Avatar Vivian on September 12, 2012 at 6:46 am

I agree with others, they are all fabulous but my favorite is Awesome Outdoors followed by Purple Passion.

27. Avatar Tracy on September 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

Purple passion – we really see YOU!

• Avatar Jenelle on September 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Purple passion is the best,,,,,the outdoors one is so hum ho

28. Avatar Nancy on September 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

Looks like nearly everyone agrees and I am no exception – Awesome Outdoors is the clear winner. Can’t wait to see it on the bookshelf!

29. Avatar Larry Cultrera on September 12, 2012 at 6:48 am

Awesome Outdoors most definitely! Truly Awesome!

30. Avatar Paula on September 12, 2012 at 6:50 am

Purple Passion is my favorite by a long shot. Hope it helps you.

31. Avatar Wanda on September 12, 2012 at 6:52 am

Awesome Outdoors!! Just something special about it!

32. Avatar Keri on September 12, 2012 at 6:55 am

Love the Awesome Outdoors! The others were just as beautiful, but the Awesome Outdoors to me looks very natural.

33. Avatar Tammie on September 12, 2012 at 6:56 am

I love all your photos but I do agree that Awesome Outdoors is the best one for the title Sweet Salt Air.

34. Avatar Vicki on September 12, 2012 at 6:56 am

Awesome Outdoors! That is a beautiful picture and says it all.

35. Avatar Betty Stoecklin on September 12, 2012 at 6:57 am

Definitely “Awesome Outdoors”!!! That picture is absolutely adorable!! I can’t say enough about how great it is!

36. Avatar Susanna on September 12, 2012 at 6:57 am

Barbara, sure wish that I was as photgenic as you are! All three photos are wonderful but my vote would be for Awesome Outdoors for the new book!

37. Avatar Shelly on September 12, 2012 at 6:58 am

All three are beautiful so don’t take my uneducated critique the wrong way! The outdoor one is young and fresh but there is something about the way you are standing, maybe the way you are holding your hands, that seems uncomfortable, not confident. This is not the way I picture you feeling! The purple one seems to be in 2nd place, according to your readers. Though stunning, the placement of your hand is awkward. My favorite (and I seem to be the only one!), is the green one. It is soft, elegant and just plain beautiful. It is the most natural one as far as I am concerned. You look confident and comfortable without being overpowering or pretentious. Hope that helps! Which one you pick doesn’t really matter… I know that the book is going to be great!!

• Avatar Joyce H on September 12, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I absolutely agree with Shelly, the “Goin Green” picture is absolutely beautiful of you, Barbara!

38. Avatar Mari Drey on September 12, 2012 at 6:59 am

I like the outdoor one. My next favorite is the purple passion. You are beautiful.

39. Avatar Sarah on September 12, 2012 at 7:03 am

Definitely Awesome Outdoors! Gorgeous picture! 🙂

40. Avatar Cathy McKenna on September 12, 2012 at 7:03 am

All three are beautiful but the purple adds so much colour to your face so it is my choice.

41. Avatar agatha on September 12, 2012 at 7:11 am

awesome outdoors, coz its awesome!!!

42. Avatar Cheryle on September 12, 2012 at 7:16 am

With the title Sweet Salt Air, the Awesome Outdoors fits perfect! The other 2 photos are great as well, perhaps for another book.

43. Avatar Dianne on September 12, 2012 at 7:32 am

Goin Green is my favorite. To me it looks the most comfortable and the one that most closely resembles a person who would most like to “tell me a story”

44. Avatar Shannon Murdock on September 12, 2012 at 7:32 am

Awesome outdoors. You look so young and care free. I love that photo. Beautiful!

45. Avatar Heather on September 12, 2012 at 7:32 am

Awesome outdoors is the best! Makes you look young and carefree

46. Avatar Teresa Rice on September 12, 2012 at 7:33 am

My fave is the GREEN!! I agree with Shelly TOTALLY (do 2 uneducated critiques make 1 educated one?!)!! Looking forward to the latest book! 🙂

47. Avatar Annie on September 12, 2012 at 7:37 am

Awesome Outdoors!!! Can your photographer zoom in a little???

48. Avatar Jan on September 12, 2012 at 7:37 am

Awesome Outdoors

49. Avatar Kathy on September 12, 2012 at 7:37 am

All the photos are awesome but I pick Awesome Outdoors. I feel your pain – someone points a camera at me and I go into a panic. All your prep was so worth it – you look fantastic!

50. Avatar Orah Ben-Jacob on September 12, 2012 at 7:40 am

Awesome Outdoors!

51. Avatar Lori Myers on September 12, 2012 at 7:41 am

Awesome Outdoors! Gorgeous!

52. Avatar Judy Stratton on September 12, 2012 at 7:44 am

Yes, all are beautiful but I too love the first one taken outside, so fresh and bright! My second choice is purple scarf. Can’t wait!

53. Avatar Nila Henson on September 12, 2012 at 7:45 am

You should use the Awesome Outdoors… love all the pictures of you, however this one the most. Can’t wait for the new book to come out… actually re-reading some of the old books. My favoriate is Three Wishes… could read that one over and over…!

• Avatar Sylvia Hooks on September 12, 2012 at 7:59 am

Awesome outdoors…..Looks so Natural…Love everything you write…

54. Avatar Deanne on September 12, 2012 at 7:53 am

Awesome outdoors

55. Avatar Judy on September 12, 2012 at 8:00 am

Awesome outdoors. All three are very good but the awesome outdoor one shows you to be more warm and inviting!

56. Avatar Sylvia Hooks on September 12, 2012 at 8:01 am

Awesome outdoors…..It ooks so natural…Love all your books…

57. Avatar Becky on September 12, 2012 at 8:06 am

Definitely “Awesome Outdoors”. But you are such a beautiful lady, any of them would be great.

58. Avatar Glo on September 12, 2012 at 8:08 am

Love the Awesome Outdoors photo. the others are very nice also.

59. Avatar Kelly on September 12, 2012 at 8:15 am

I really like the Awesome Outdoors Picture. Its a great shot!

60. Avatar Mary on September 12, 2012 at 8:15 am

Barbara, there is no choice… The two close-ups look like “about the author” pics that belong on the inside flap of a book cover. Besides it’s ‘awesome outdoors’ when you can Smell the “Sweet Salt Air”. Lol…

61. Avatar Dana on September 12, 2012 at 8:16 am

They’re all nice, but I love the headshots. Number 2 of the 3 listed, I think.

62. Avatar Marsha on September 12, 2012 at 8:19 am

They are all Beautiful and it is hard to pick but Purple Passion is the one I would pick although I have to agree with everyone and say Awesome Outdoors is great too

63. Avatar Jeni on September 12, 2012 at 8:27 am

Awesome Outdoors.

64. Avatar V. St. Clair on September 12, 2012 at 8:29 am

“Purple Passion” by all means! The vibrant color makes one feel happy. It also looks great on you.

65. Avatar Sandra on September 12, 2012 at 8:34 am

They are all beautiful, but my favorite is awesome outdoors!

66. Avatar Missy on September 12, 2012 at 8:38 am

Outdoors!

67. Avatar Pam on September 12, 2012 at 8:38 am

While I love all of the photos, Awesome Outdoors is by far the best photo for your new book.

68. Avatar Lyn on September 12, 2012 at 8:39 am

I love all the photos but my pick would be Purple Passion
    you seem to glow with this colour

69. Avatar Ella Senter on September 12, 2012 at 8:43 am

LOVE the Awesome Outdoors one…..you look classy, young, and beautiful. You really are hot.

70. Avatar Lorraine Thacker on September 12, 2012 at 8:45 am

I agree with the majority, Awesome Outdoors is the perfect shot of you and so different from any I remember from past books…come to think of it, that’s one thing I miss about books on Kindle! I liked equally ‘Goin Green’ for your smile in it, but your hair is so similar to older pics…I think that’s one reason I like the full shot so well, it’s new and fresh looking.

71. Avatar judith barker on September 12, 2012 at 8:49 am

the purple one for sure!

72. Avatar Lorene Beach on September 12, 2012 at 8:52 am

They are all absolutely gorgeous pictures of you, but the outdoors one is my favorite.

73. Avatar Barbara on September 12, 2012 at 8:56 am

I agree with everything Shelly said. Going Green is perfect.

• Avatar Shelly on September 12, 2012 at 11:50 pm

: )

74. Avatar Yolanda Queen on September 12, 2012 at 8:57 am

Barbara,

Awesome Outdoors is a very pretty picture. They are all good ; what message do you want to send? I’m guessing accomplished author. If this is the case, I would use Purple Passion and hang Awesome Outdoors above the fireplace!

75. Avatar Nadine Huard on September 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Awesome outdoors for sure although they are all great

76. Avatar Debbie Fritsch on September 12, 2012 at 9:06 am

I love the Awesome Outdoors shot because it shows so much personality!

77. Avatar Nicole on September 12, 2012 at 9:07 am

I like Number 1 The Best!

78. Avatar Rita Booker on September 12, 2012 at 9:14 am

I like the Awesome Outdoors shot! Love all your books!

79. Avatar Nancy Gorton on September 12, 2012 at 9:21 am

Awesome Outdoors wins with me.

80. Avatar Jan on September 12, 2012 at 9:28 am

Awesome Outdoors…love it.

81. Avatar Kathy Poulson on September 12, 2012 at 9:29 am

Awesome Outdoors is my pick!

82. Avatar Sonia on September 12, 2012 at 9:43 am

Awesome Outdoors – its the most natural looking shot 🙂

83. Avatar Kathleen Efflandt on September 12, 2012 at 9:45 am

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful woman, but my vote goes to Awesome outdoors!

84. Avatar joan on September 12, 2012 at 9:48 am

They are all beautiful – but I love “Awesome Outdoors”!!!

85. Avatar Sally on September 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

Awesome Outdoors brought a smile to my face.

86. Avatar jane on September 12, 2012 at 9:53 am

awesome outdoor is great you look relaxed and at peace!

87. Avatar Susan Y on September 12, 2012 at 10:04 am

Definitely Awesome Outdoors!! The photo setting totally goes with the book title.

88. Avatar Bonnie on September 12, 2012 at 10:10 am

I like the awesome outdoors, but I also like the up close of the going green, there is something about seeing a person’s eyes in their photo, it’s a window to thier heart! All very nice!

89. Avatar Sharon Lapsley on September 12, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hands down Awesome Outdoors. With the purple a close second.

90. Avatar Elaine M Pittack on September 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

Awesome Outdoors has to be the choice. The outdoor background looks so relaxing as if there is sweet salt air around you and the fact that you look awesome in that pic makes it my choice.

91. Avatar Stacia Benjamins on September 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

I have to agree with Shelly, the going green one is the best.. You look the most relaxed in that one.

92. Avatar Marcia Harriman on September 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

Purple passion. The first one the arms are too baggy. The second one the scarf’s two colors look odd. Third is best 🙂

93. Avatar Connie Carroll on September 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

I have to agree with the majority of comments–Awesome Outdoors! Although, Going green is right up there. All three of the shots are awesome!

94. Avatar Jane F on September 12, 2012 at 10:28 am

Definitely Awesome Outdoors! It makes you look so YOUNG! Second choice would be Goin’ Green. I’d stay away from the Purple Passion… just my opinion.

95. Avatar Amber B on September 12, 2012 at 10:31 am

Awesome Outdoors photo! Love your books!

96. Avatar Julie on September 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

Looks like the overwhelming pick is the Awesome Outdoors shot! I do love that one, the blonde looks really nice and the partial body-shot makes you look young and carefree! Your choice in the end of course, but you can see that is the “fan favorite”. Can’t wait for your new book to come out! Enjoy the Fall!

97. Avatar Jasmin on September 12, 2012 at 10:40 am

Awesome outdoors!

98. Avatar Sandy on September 12, 2012 at 10:40 am

Awesome outdoors is perfect.

99. Avatar Heather T. on September 12, 2012 at 10:41 am

Awesome Outdoors…definitely!!!

100. Avatar Claudette Brookins on September 12, 2012 at 10:44 am

All the pics are good but think Awesome Outdoors best fits title of your new book! Can’t wait to buy it!!!!

101. Avatar Claudette Brookins on September 12, 2012 at 10:46 am

All the pics are good but think Awesome Outdoors best fits the title of your new book. Can’t wait to buy it!

102. Avatar Lou Ann Johnson on September 12, 2012 at 10:48 am

Awesome Outdoors – you look lovely!

103. Avatar Colleen Schrimpf on September 12, 2012 at 10:58 am

I agree with Awesome Outdoors. Must be nice to have three such great pictures to choose from.

104. Avatar Celeste on September 12, 2012 at 11:00 am

They are all beautiful, but I would choose the awesome outdoor shot.

• Avatar Darci Hoback on September 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love the Awesome Outdoors photo!

105. Avatar Tamy on September 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

Awesome Outdoors gets my vote!

106. Avatar Pat Puckett on September 12, 2012 at 11:29 am

Awesome Outdoor pic is my favorite………all are really neat….you are so pretty and photogenic with your beautiful smile!

107. Avatar Rosemarie Halloran on September 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

Awesome Outdoors! Most natural and relatable photo.

108. Avatar Lois Humphries on September 12, 2012 at 11:41 am

Awesome Outdoors!!!!!!!!!!!!

109. Avatar Maria Grant on September 12, 2012 at 11:55 am

Awesome Outdoor but I like Purple too…

110. Avatar Marian on September 12, 2012 at 11:58 am

Love the Outdoor photo. It is awesome!!!

111. Avatar Debbi Burnie on September 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm

My favorite colour is purple, and I have green eyes, but the title is “sweet salt air” … so You should go with the Awesome outdoors it is a beautiful picture of you …they all are amazing … but its nice to see all of you too !!

112. Avatar Nancy Watkins on September 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Awesome outdoors…the absolute winner!

113. Avatar Carin Buckman on September 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm

OK – I am one of the very few who prefers Going Green. It is timeless, very striking, and knowing you just a bit matches who you are and your personality the best. Also, you can re-use this one for many different occasions. As great as I think the outdoors one is, I think #2 gives you the most versatility. Great new hair, btw!

114. Avatar Kate on September 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Yet another vote for Awesome Outdoors.

115. Avatar Holly Alessi on September 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm

The outdoors one caught my attention right off the bat. But then I saw the purple passion one…..but I still like the outdors one the best.

116. Avatar Kathie Newell on September 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I, too, like them all. But I would vote for them in the order that they are displayed here, with the outdoor shot getting my Number One vote. Your pre-shoot agenda seems to have worked!!!!

117. Avatar Lynette on September 12, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Awesome Outdoors is my first choice. Second would be Goin’ Green.

118. Avatar Susan Tolland on September 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I have been a quiet fan for years!!! Even going on Ebay for some of the older ones… love all that you write! Awesome Outdoors is my pick, although all are lovely!!! You are relaxed!! All the very best!

119. Avatar Julie Engler on September 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I am going for the green: Goin’ green. All 3 pictures are great but w/ the title “Sweet Salt Air” the green reminds me of the sea at times. Looking forward to the book.

120. Avatar Virginia on September 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I like them all but I prefer the green to go with the title…

121. Avatar Stacey on September 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Awesome outdoors..great pictures but this one is my favorite

122. Avatar Hollie on September 12, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I love a full-length shot. Awesome outdoors for sure. Every “skinny bitch” should show her body off., and you know I mean that in the nicest of ways. 🙂

123. Avatar Dianna Emmons on September 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I say the Outdoors photo..I just love that one..Out door shots are always so bright sunny and airy

124. Avatar Linda Kellner on September 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Absolutely ‘Awesome outdoors’. Gives you a whole new aura!

125. Avatar Bonnie Reddy on September 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Absolutely agree with the others… Awesome outdoors is the greatest! You look marvelous !!

126. Avatar Amy on September 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm

You look very nice in all of them but I do agree with the majority that the awesome outdoors is my favorite. Can’t wait to read your next book. Thanks for keeping us entertained.

127. Avatar Ev Bedard on September 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I am partial to the full length–awesome outdoors–the scarves are too distracting–just my honest opinion

128. Avatar Tanja Latimer on September 12, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Awesome Outdoors. What a beautiful pic!!

129. Avatar Karen Hastings on September 12, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Dear Barbara,All of the photos were beatiful but I loved Awesome Outdoors!

130. Avatar Gwen Sargeant on September 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm

The outdoors picture makes you look very very young.

Gwen Sargeant

• Avatar Denise on September 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I agree. They are all wonderful, but in my opinion, ‘Awesome Outdoors’ wins hands down, it’s perfect!

131. Avatar Gayle Harvey Cohen on September 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Hi Barbara I love them all but my favorite the outdoors one. You are very photogenic and take awesome pictures;
    Gayle Harvey Cohen

132. Avatar Lynn on September 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Awesome outdoors. Love the less formal look – and the smile.

133. Avatar Cynthia Surfus on September 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Going Green…..the purple is to strong, outdoors, I think a sitting/thinking pose would’ve been the option.

134. Avatar Gail Hollingsworth on September 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Awesome outdoors, no doubt, hands down!!

135. Avatar Denise Chapman on September 12, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Awesome outdoors is great.

136. Avatar Kara Clark on September 12, 2012 at 5:01 pm

#1 Awesome outdoors and # 2 Going green

137. Avatar Pam Lord on September 12, 2012 at 6:08 pm

All are fabulous, but Awesome Outdoors captures your whimsical personality. Go with it!

138. Avatar Maria A. Piccirillo on September 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

They are all great but, I really like “Awesome Outdoors”

139. Avatar Karen on September 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I agree. They are all good, but I love the outdoor one… Do you even take a bad picture??

140. Avatar Amy Letourneau on September 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

They are all gorgeous but I would go with “Awesome Outdoors” 😉

141. Avatar Dawn on September 12, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Awesome Outdoors gets my vote!

142. Avatar Janette Prickett on September 12, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I liked the outdoor one right off the bat. The others are good, but there’s something about the expression on your face and the lighting in the picture that make it extra special.

143. Avatar Ann Pollard on September 12, 2012 at 8:30 pm

The outdoor photo is awesome for this book and the purple is for the next book!

144. Avatar Laurie Fessler on September 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm

The first one, DEFINITELY, Awesome Outdoors……it’s a lovely, sweet, beautiful photo.

145. Avatar Laurie Fessler on September 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm

pick the first photo!

146. Avatar linda fishman on September 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm

i see i’m the minority, but my first instinct was to choose “goin’ green.” you’ve said your character is a farm-to-table kinda gal, isn’t that a major component of the “green” movement? 🙂

147. Avatar Kathy on September 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I would vote for the outdoor picture.

148. Avatar Tina on September 12, 2012 at 9:26 pm

You are beautiful in all three but the outdoor one is the best.

149. Avatar Sue on September 12, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Awesome outdoors

150. Avatar Amy Price on September 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Awesome Outdoors!!!!!! Not only do you look gorgeous, but your smile in this one is so fun. They all are pretty, but this one is my favorite.

151. Avatar Beverley Cloke on September 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Awesome Outdoors is awesome

152. Avatar Angela Moore on September 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I think the one with the green scarf is very flattering.

153. Avatar Phyllis Kusnitz on September 12, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Phyllis wrote

None of them..
    .’Sweet Salt Air’ Should have the feeling of Salt Air with an Ocean/Ocean Wave/White Caps/Sand and when you look at it you should almost feel that you experience the smell of the wonderful Salt Air…

154. Avatar Sheila on September 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I like all three, but I especially like the Awesome Outdoors the best.

155. Avatar Sue on September 13, 2012 at 8:38 am

The awesome outdoors all three are great, but the outdoors would go with the total of your new book. I’ve just started reading your books, i LOVE THEM. Can’t wait for the new one.

156. Avatar Cindy Hellebrandt on September 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

All three photos are great, but the awesome outdoors photo is more casual and friendly than the two studio shots. Love, love, love your books! 🙂

157. Avatar jeanie longo on September 13, 2012 at 11:12 am

I Just finished reading Together alone which is the best book I ever read. I am Trying to get all your books now.
    You are awesome. Thank you for writing books.

158. Avatar Diane L. on September 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

Awesome Outdoors! You are absolutely stunning in all of them! <3

159. Avatar melissa on September 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm

awesome outdoors. different than the ‘standard’ photo. Very flattering pics.

160. Avatar Donna Frati on September 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Nothing says…”Sweet Salt Air”… like the Awesome Outdoors !!
    Love it…How do you keep looking younger and younger…amazing !
    xoxo

161. Avatar Bev Anne on September 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm

My favourite is “Goin’ Green”. The first one cuts you off at your knees and is too informal for my taste. I like the purple scarf but the lighting in the picture causes too much shine on your face. I think the Goin’ Green is a perfect shot. Having said that the choice should be yours (you get 2 votes for every one of ours). Choose the one that makes you feel like your most authentic self.

162. Avatar Milly I. on September 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

You look so fresh and fun-loving in the Awesome Outdoors. It says so much about you. Although beautifully done, the others are too formal. Save them for another occasion. My two cents!

163. Avatar Susan Vachon on September 13, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Awesome outdoors…of course….to bad you did not have one of your wonderful beaded bracelets on too! Sue

164. Avatar Trudy Gerovske on September 13, 2012 at 8:14 pm

My personal favorite is Goin’ Green! Though I agree that the Awesome Outdoors would probably go better with the book title, I feel that the amount of white in the picture washes out your face and hair. In the picture with the purple scarf, the left side of the photo seems to have too much light on your face. Goin’ Green has the best balance of light on your face and allows everyone to see your face to the best advantage. 🙂 Thanks for sharing the pix with us!!

165. Avatar Carla Creitz on September 13, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Awesome Outdoors!! Hands down..

166. Avatar Jennifer on September 13, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I agree with the majority – Awesome Outdoors!

167. Avatar Christine D on September 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm

You look beautiful, as always. in each photo. But, I think Awesome Outdoors is clearly the best!

168. Avatar Susan B. on September 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm

They are all beautiful. But, for me, awesome outdoors is the best one. Love your stories!

169. Avatar Amanda on September 15, 2012 at 5:11 am

The Awesome outdoors is just gorgeous!

170. Avatar Fil on September 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

Awesome outdoors is my first preference, but if you would like a more formal picture then it would have to be Purple Passion.

171. Avatar Sylvie on September 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Awesome Outdoors. The hair looks the best there!

172. Avatar Robyne on September 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I love all the photos, but my favorite is assume outdoors.

173. Avatar Jaime on September 20, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I know I’m late, but Awesome Outdoors. You look the most relaxed.

174. Avatar Donna on September 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm

All 3 are great. My least favorite is Going Green but even it is gorgeous. Your hair, oh my it looks so good. The color is absolutely awesome. These pictures in my opinion are the best of all you’ve had done for books. You look so healthy and full of vitality.

175. Avatar Marie Ellen Logie on September 25, 2012 at 3:47 am

They are all beautiful pictures, but the “Awesome Outside” just pops out at you…..it is STUNNING!

176. Avatar Susan A. Fisher on September 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm

It is so hard to pick just one. Every picture is truly you. Would love to see more, then I would really have a hard time choosing. I love the one purple passion but with the title of your new book I would have to say Awesome Outdoors. But you look beautiful in Goin’ Green. So I am having withdrawl waiting for the new book.