Shopping for the holidays

I’m not thinking about Christmas catalogues, free shipping offers or Black Friday hours.  I’m still on Thanksgiving, and it has to do with food.  I’ve been poring through cookbooks, clipping recipes from the paper, and making lists.  The troops are descending next Wednesday morning, and they’re all staying here, so Thanksgiving dinner isn’t the only meal I’ll be making.  I have to keep bellies filled for four days, and my shopping list keeps growing. There are the unusual suspects – fruit, salad makings, cold cuts, bread, eggs.  There are also a bunch of staples we don’t usually buy:

Turkey.  Duh.  I just bought a full 12-pounder and two 4-pound breasts.

Breakfast cereal.  We never eat it, but my grandkids do.

Frozen waffles.  Ditto the above.

Milk.  You got your whole milk, your skimmed milk, your 2% milk, and your Lactaid.

Bars.  We’re talking granola here.  They’re like bandaids between meals.

Hot chocolate.  Do I dare buy K-cups?

Whipped cream.  Chocolate and caramel sauce.  Rainbow sprinkles.

Frozen yogurt.  To go with the above.  The shop down the street has the best.

Chicken nuggets.  Mac ‘n Cheese.  Hoodsies.  Don’t know what Hoodsies are?  They’re little ice cream cups, half vanilla, half chocolate, a New England specialty, and yummy.

What did I forget?

Two things, actually.

First, Breaking Dawn.  We’re all total Twi-hards, so the guy who pulls the short straw will babysit the kids Friday night while the rest of us go to the late show.  I’m dying to see this one.  The previews are amazing.  They’ve broken the last book into two movies, and this is the first.  We’re all taking bets about where it’ll end.

Second, Evie’s Rose Hat – you know, the one I blogged about last time.  I finally typed up the pattern.  Here it is.

 

 

Share this:
Posted in

4 Comments

  1. Avatar Kathryn in Montreal on November 16, 2011 at 9:27 pm

    Thanks so much for the patterns!

    Your larder is certainly full… have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

  2. Avatar linda fishman on November 17, 2011 at 1:19 pm

    hi barbara,

    so delighted you’re back to blogging! i’ve missed your take on everyday life 🙂 have a beautiful and meaningful holiday with your fam and all the nachas being together brings!! i am feeling very blessed and thankful as i’m sure you are as well.

    warmest regards,
    linda fishman
    from so.cali

  3. Avatar Nancie on November 17, 2011 at 7:56 pm

    OMG…so funny, your kitchen pantry mirrors mine, except you may want to add chicken hotdogs for the grandchildren..mine love them, The only difference is my kid’s live locally, but my son’s birthday is Nov.21 (always a day shy of landing on Thanksgiving) so I always have a family dinner the Sunday before. Just add on a 10 pound spiral ham for Sunday and our fridges will match too! It’s hectic and a lot of work but I love it…about 85% of the time.The other 15% of the time I’m wondering what the hell was I thinking?????

  4. Avatar Jaime on November 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

    I definitely would stay away from the Hot Chocolate K-Cups. They’re too bitter and tasteless, in my opinion. I prefer making my hot chocolate with milk or they don’t taste right to me.

Leave a Comment