Help me choose my new author photo

I recently had new photos taken.  This is always stressful for me, which is one of the reasons I was a photographer once upon a time.  I far prefer being behind the camera than before it.  But books need photos, and I have a compulsion to keep them current.

That said, it isn’t a simple undertaking.  I can’t speak for other authors, but this is what a shoot entails for me.

1.  Choose a photographer and set a date.

There have been times in the past when I was all over the place trying to pick a person, but the choice was relatively easy this time.  Based on personal recommendation and her amazing celebrity photos, I knew that I wanted to work with Kerry Brett.  Since my last photos were taken outdoors and had been a scheduling nightmare of rain and humidity, I also knew that this time I wanted a studio shot.  Kerry’s studio is in Hingham, Massachusetts, an easy 45-minute drive from my home.

We picked Wednesday, June 27, 2012, for the shoot.  I wanted to get it done before summer, so that I wouldn’t stress the summer away, and what with Kerry being busy with Christmas photos pretty much from September on, a June date worked for her, too.

2.  Hire makeup artist.

At Kerry’s recommendation, I hired Dianna Quagenti, with whom she often works.  The deal was that I would meet Dianna at Kerry’s studio having made myself up with the look I like, then she would smooth, accentuate, or modify what I’d done to make it perfect for the shoot.

3.  Make appointments for hair and nails.

These things matter.  Easy phone calls took care of both.

4.  Choose clothes and props.

This was the tough part.  I took things out, tried them on, put them back.  I talked with Kerry about colors of my clothes and her backgrounds.  I took other things out, tried them on, put them back.

5.  Re-choose clothes and props.

More trying on and putting back.  Some buying and returning.  The process was endless.  Midway, I sent Kerry phone shots of various dresses, jackets, scarves.  Regarding props, we discussed the possibility of my holding a pile of books (decided against it) and a laptop (went with this).

6.  Diet.

Actually, it was more a question of taking care, in the three days leading up to the shoot, to avoid those foods that might make me bloated (carbonated soda, airy frozen yogurt) or puffy (cold cuts, Chinese food, anything else heavy on salt).  I mean, yeah, it would be great to lose ten pounds prior to a photo shoot, but experience told me that wasn’t going to happen.

7.  Sleep.

It’s the one thing that can make or break the way you look.  It’s also the one thing that is hardest to do when you’re as nervous as I was about this shoot.

That said, by the time I arrived at the photographer’s studio, my job was done.  I pretty much sat there and let the makeup woman do her thing, then let Kerry decide which of my outfits went with which backgrounds.

It was fascinating to watch Kerry – her thoughtfulness, tipping her head this way and that as she analyzed me and the light, asking me to tip my head this way or that, having me turn a bit to the right or left, to sit or stand, always her thoughtfulness.

Two weeks after the shoot, I returned to Kerry’s studio.  Of 500 shots, she had chosen the best 100.  We sifted through those, hoping to boil it down to five, but the shots were so good that I couldn’t choose fewer than nine.

Of those, folks, here are the final three.  What do you think?  I’ve given each a caption.  Which would you like to see on the cover of Sweet Salt Air?

Awesome Outdoors

Goin’ Green

Purple Passion

Comments

1. Awesome outdoors

2. Oh I can understand the stress!! Wow. However … worth it, look how gorgeous these photos are! They are all completely stunning. My favourite is the Awesome Outdoors – you look so chic, so relaxed … somehow for me that goes with the outdoorsy sound of Sweet Salt Air, if that makes sense? :-)

3. Ana Rodrigues says:

Hi, Barbara! All the three photos are great. But I agree with the two comments above: Awake Outdoors has the feeling of Sweet Salt AIr. And you are beaultiful and looking so happy in it.

4. The first picture is most perfect, because like your novel sweet salt air, it’s shows refreshing background and bright face of the author as well the novel:)

5. best is purple, adds a lot of color

6. Hi Barbara, I think they are all wonderful but my favorite is the first one. Awesome Outdoors!!

7. Pierret Sandie says:

Awesome outdoors

8. I would go for Awesome outdoors!

9. I love all your pictures.

I most love the awesome outdoors tho.

10. I love them all but the first one out doors is the best!

11. Chris Jenkins says:

I agree, Awesome Outdoors is the one to use! The other two are beautiful, but that one just stands out.

12. Well I understand the problem in choosing because they are all beautiful of you. But if you had to choose, the Purple Passion one lights up your face. The color purple is very good on you.

13. Jill Schneider says:

Awesome outdoors,it is just very natural and looks like the real you.

14. Theresa Stevens says:

Awesome Outdoors!!!!

15. I think you should use the third picture, Purple Passion.

16. Judie Bouldry says:

I love the awesome outdoors….def. the winner.

17. I think that it should be the amazing outdoors. I feel it suits the book as well.

18. Patty Donovan says:

Awsome Outdoors

19. realizacjamarzen1.blogspot.com says:

Awesome Outdoors is the best!! You should choose it!:)

20. I really like the outdoor one the best! I can see it on the back cover of your next book!

21. Barbara, you DEFINITELY have to go with “Purple Passion”. The colours are vibrant and bring the natural beauty in your face. You look absolutely stunning in this photo. The outdoors one is not close enough and you look a tad pale and the green just doesn’t cut it. Scarf is waaay too big. Go with the “purple”!!!

Love ya!!
    xoxo ~~

22. Holly Whitehead says:

Aw. Outdoors!!!

23. All of the Photo’s are Awesome but the Awesome Outdoors will go better with the title of “Sweet Salt Air.” I think you should only use it for this title and change it to the “Purple Passion.” for the next book! Can’t wait to read this book. I just know it will be as awesome as all the rest. You are the Best!!!

24. I love the outdoor one! It compliments your coloring and makes the picture really pop!!!! :)

25. Charlotte Fowler says:

I prefer the Purple Passion. Really looking forward to your new book.

26. I agree with others, they are all fabulous but my favorite is Awesome Outdoors followed by Purple Passion.

27. Purple passion – we really see YOU!

28. Looks like nearly everyone agrees and I am no exception – Awesome Outdoors is the clear winner. Can’t wait to see it on the bookshelf!

29. Larry Cultrera says:

Awesome Outdoors most definitely! Truly Awesome!

30. Purple Passion is my favorite by a long shot. Hope it helps you.

31. Awesome Outdoors!! Just something special about it!

32. Love the Awesome Outdoors! The others were just as beautiful, but the Awesome Outdoors to me looks very natural.

33. I love all your photos but I do agree that Awesome Outdoors is the best one for the title Sweet Salt Air.

34. Awesome Outdoors! That is a beautiful picture and says it all.

35. Betty Stoecklin says:

Definitely “Awesome Outdoors”!!! That picture is absolutely adorable!! I can’t say enough about how great it is!

36. Barbara, sure wish that I was as photgenic as you are! All three photos are wonderful but my vote would be for Awesome Outdoors for the new book!

37. All three are beautiful so don’t take my uneducated critique the wrong way! The outdoor one is young and fresh but there is something about the way you are standing, maybe the way you are holding your hands, that seems uncomfortable, not confident. This is not the way I picture you feeling! The purple one seems to be in 2nd place, according to your readers. Though stunning, the placement of your hand is awkward. My favorite (and I seem to be the only one!), is the green one. It is soft, elegant and just plain beautiful. It is the most natural one as far as I am concerned. You look confident and comfortable without being overpowering or pretentious. Hope that helps! Which one you pick doesn’t really matter… I know that the book is going to be great!!

38. I like the outdoor one. My next favorite is the purple passion. You are beautiful.

39. Definitely Awesome Outdoors! Gorgeous picture! :)

40. Cathy McKenna says:

All three are beautiful but the purple adds so much colour to your face so it is my choice.

41. awesome outdoors, coz its awesome!!!

42. With the title Sweet Salt Air, the Awesome Outdoors fits perfect! The other 2 photos are great as well, perhaps for another book.

43. Goin Green is my favorite. To me it looks the most comfortable and the one that most closely resembles a person who would most like to “tell me a story”

44. Shannon Murdock says:

Awesome outdoors. You look so young and care free. I love that photo. Beautiful!

45. Awesome outdoors is the best! Makes you look young and carefree

46. Teresa Rice says:

My fave is the GREEN!! I agree with Shelly TOTALLY (do 2 uneducated critiques make 1 educated one?!)!! Looking forward to the latest book! :-)

47. Awesome Outdoors!!! Can your photographer zoom in a little???

48. Awesome Outdoors

49. All the photos are awesome but I pick Awesome Outdoors. I feel your pain – someone points a camera at me and I go into a panic. All your prep was so worth it – you look fantastic!

50. Orah Ben-Jacob says:

Awesome Outdoors!

51. Awesome Outdoors! Gorgeous!

52. Judy Stratton says:

Yes, all are beautiful but I too love the first one taken outside, so fresh and bright! My second choice is purple scarf. Can’t wait!

53. Nila Henson says:

You should use the Awesome Outdoors… love all the pictures of you, however this one the most. Can’t wait for the new book to come out… actually re-reading some of the old books. My favoriate is Three Wishes… could read that one over and over…!

54. Awesome outdoors

55. Awesome outdoors. All three are very good but the awesome outdoor one shows you to be more warm and inviting!

56. Sylvia Hooks says:

Awesome outdoors…..It ooks so natural…Love all your books…

57. Definitely “Awesome Outdoors”. But you are such a beautiful lady, any of them would be great.

58. Love the Awesome Outdoors photo. the others are very nice also.

59. I really like the Awesome Outdoors Picture. Its a great shot!

60. Barbara, there is no choice… The two close-ups look like “about the author” pics that belong on the inside flap of a book cover. Besides it’s ‘awesome outdoors’ when you can Smell the “Sweet Salt Air”. Lol…

61. They’re all nice, but I love the headshots. Number 2 of the 3 listed, I think.

62. They are all Beautiful and it is hard to pick but Purple Passion is the one I would pick although I have to agree with everyone and say Awesome Outdoors is great too

63. Awesome Outdoors.

64. “Purple Passion” by all means! The vibrant color makes one feel happy. It also looks great on you.

65. They are all beautiful, but my favorite is awesome outdoors!

66. Outdoors!

67. While I love all of the photos, Awesome Outdoors is by far the best photo for your new book.

68. I love all the photos but my pick would be Purple Passion
    you seem to glow with this colour

69. Ella Senter says:

LOVE the Awesome Outdoors one…..you look classy, young, and beautiful. You really are hot.

70. Lorraine Thacker says:

I agree with the majority, Awesome Outdoors is the perfect shot of you and so different from any I remember from past books…come to think of it, that’s one thing I miss about books on Kindle! I liked equally ‘Goin Green’ for your smile in it, but your hair is so similar to older pics…I think that’s one reason I like the full shot so well, it’s new and fresh looking.

71. judith barker says:

the purple one for sure!

72. Lorene Beach says:

They are all absolutely gorgeous pictures of you, but the outdoors one is my favorite.

73. I agree with everything Shelly said. Going Green is perfect.

74. Yolanda Queen says:

Barbara,

Awesome Outdoors is a very pretty picture. They are all good ; what message do you want to send? I’m guessing accomplished author. If this is the case, I would use Purple Passion and hang Awesome Outdoors above the fireplace!

75. Nadine Huard says:

Awesome outdoors for sure although they are all great

76. Debbie Fritsch says:

I love the Awesome Outdoors shot because it shows so much personality!

77. I like Number 1 The Best!

78. Rita Booker says:

I like the Awesome Outdoors shot! Love all your books!

79. Nancy Gorton says:

Awesome Outdoors wins with me.

80. Awesome Outdoors…love it.

81. Kathy Poulson says:

Awesome Outdoors is my pick!

82. Awesome Outdoors – its the most natural looking shot :)

83. Beautiful pictures of a beautiful woman, but my vote goes to Awesome outdoors!

84. They are all beautiful – but I love “Awesome Outdoors”!!!

85. Awesome Outdoors brought a smile to my face.

86. awesome outdoor is great you look relaxed and at peace!

87. Definitely Awesome Outdoors!! The photo setting totally goes with the book title.

88. I like the awesome outdoors, but I also like the up close of the going green, there is something about seeing a person’s eyes in their photo, it’s a window to thier heart! All very nice!

89. Sharon Lapsley says:

Hands down Awesome Outdoors. With the purple a close second.

90. Elaine M Pittack says:

Awesome Outdoors has to be the choice. The outdoor background looks so relaxing as if there is sweet salt air around you and the fact that you look awesome in that pic makes it my choice.

91. Stacia Benjamins says:

I have to agree with Shelly, the going green one is the best.. You look the most relaxed in that one.

92. Marcia Harriman says:

Purple passion. The first one the arms are too baggy. The second one the scarf’s two colors look odd. Third is best :-)

93. Connie Carroll says:

I have to agree with the majority of comments–Awesome Outdoors! Although, Going green is right up there. All three of the shots are awesome!

94. Definitely Awesome Outdoors! It makes you look so YOUNG! Second choice would be Goin’ Green. I’d stay away from the Purple Passion… just my opinion.

95. Awesome Outdoors photo! Love your books!

96. Looks like the overwhelming pick is the Awesome Outdoors shot! I do love that one, the blonde looks really nice and the partial body-shot makes you look young and carefree! Your choice in the end of course, but you can see that is the “fan favorite”. Can’t wait for your new book to come out! Enjoy the Fall!

97. Awesome outdoors!

98. Awesome outdoors is perfect.

99. Awesome Outdoors…definitely!!!

100. Claudette Brookins says:

All the pics are good but think Awesome Outdoors best fits title of your new book! Can’t wait to buy it!!!!

101. Claudette Brookins says:

All the pics are good but think Awesome Outdoors best fits the title of your new book. Can’t wait to buy it!

102. Lou Ann Johnson says:

Awesome Outdoors – you look lovely!

103. Colleen Schrimpf says:

I agree with Awesome Outdoors. Must be nice to have three such great pictures to choose from.

104. They are all beautiful, but I would choose the awesome outdoor shot.

105. Awesome Outdoors gets my vote!

106. Pat Puckett says:

Awesome Outdoor pic is my favorite………all are really neat….you are so pretty and photogenic with your beautiful smile!

107. Rosemarie Halloran says:

Awesome Outdoors! Most natural and relatable photo.

108. Lois Humphries says:

Awesome Outdoors!!!!!!!!!!!!

109. Maria Grant says:

Awesome Outdoor but I like Purple too…

110. Love the Outdoor photo. It is awesome!!!

111. Debbi Burnie says:

My favorite colour is purple, and I have green eyes, but the title is “sweet salt air” … so You should go with the Awesome outdoors it is a beautiful picture of you …they all are amazing … but its nice to see all of you too !!

112. Nancy Watkins says:

Awesome outdoors…the absolute winner!

113. Carin Buckman says:

OK – I am one of the very few who prefers Going Green. It is timeless, very striking, and knowing you just a bit matches who you are and your personality the best. Also, you can re-use this one for many different occasions. As great as I think the outdoors one is, I think #2 gives you the most versatility. Great new hair, btw!

114. Yet another vote for Awesome Outdoors.

115. Holly Alessi says:

The outdoors one caught my attention right off the bat. But then I saw the purple passion one…..but I still like the outdors one the best.

116. Kathie Newell says:

I, too, like them all. But I would vote for them in the order that they are displayed here, with the outdoor shot getting my Number One vote. Your pre-shoot agenda seems to have worked!!!!

117. Awesome Outdoors is my first choice. Second would be Goin’ Green.

118. Susan Tolland says:

I have been a quiet fan for years!!! Even going on Ebay for some of the older ones… love all that you write! Awesome Outdoors is my pick, although all are lovely!!! You are relaxed!! All the very best!

119. Julie Engler says:

I am going for the green: Goin’ green. All 3 pictures are great but w/ the title “Sweet Salt Air” the green reminds me of the sea at times. Looking forward to the book.

120. I like them all but I prefer the green to go with the title…

121. Awesome outdoors..great pictures but this one is my favorite

122. I love a full-length shot. Awesome outdoors for sure. Every “skinny bitch” should show her body off., and you know I mean that in the nicest of ways. :)

123. I say the Outdoors photo..I just love that one..Out door shots are always so bright sunny and airy

124. Linda Kellner says:

Absolutely ‘Awesome outdoors’. Gives you a whole new aura!

125. Bonnie Reddy says:

Absolutely agree with the others… Awesome outdoors is the greatest! You look marvelous !!

126. You look very nice in all of them but I do agree with the majority that the awesome outdoors is my favorite. Can’t wait to read your next book. Thanks for keeping us entertained.

127. I am partial to the full length–awesome outdoors–the scarves are too distracting–just my honest opinion

128. Tanja Latimer says:

Awesome Outdoors. What a beautiful pic!!

129. Karen Hastings says:

Dear Barbara,All of the photos were beatiful but I loved Awesome Outdoors!

130. Gwen Sargeant says:

The outdoors picture makes you look very very young.

Gwen Sargeant

131. Gayle Harvey Cohen says:

Hi Barbara I love them all but my favorite the outdoors one. You are very photogenic and take awesome pictures;
    Gayle Harvey Cohen

132. Awesome outdoors. Love the less formal look – and the smile.

133. Cynthia Surfus says:

Going Green…..the purple is to strong, outdoors, I think a sitting/thinking pose would’ve been the option.

134. Gail Hollingsworth says:

Awesome outdoors, no doubt, hands down!!

135. Denise Chapman says:

Awesome outdoors is great.

136. #1 Awesome outdoors and # 2 Going green

137. All are fabulous, but Awesome Outdoors captures your whimsical personality. Go with it!

138. Maria A. Piccirillo says:

They are all great but, I really like “Awesome Outdoors”

139. I agree. They are all good, but I love the outdoor one… Do you even take a bad picture??

140. Amy Letourneau says:

They are all gorgeous but I would go with “Awesome Outdoors” ;-)

141. Awesome Outdoors gets my vote!

142. Janette Prickett says:

I liked the outdoor one right off the bat. The others are good, but there’s something about the expression on your face and the lighting in the picture that make it extra special.

143. Ann Pollard says:

The outdoor photo is awesome for this book and the purple is for the next book!

144. The first one, DEFINITELY, Awesome Outdoors……it’s a lovely, sweet, beautiful photo.

145. pick the first photo!

146. linda fishman says:

i see i’m the minority, but my first instinct was to choose “goin’ green.” you’ve said your character is a farm-to-table kinda gal, isn’t that a major component of the “green” movement? :)

147. I would vote for the outdoor picture.

148. You are beautiful in all three but the outdoor one is the best.

149. Awesome outdoors

150. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Awesome Outdoors!!!!!! Not only do you look gorgeous, but your smile in this one is so fun. They all are pretty, but this one is my favorite.

151. Beverley Cloke says:

Awesome Outdoors is awesome

152. Angela Moore says:

I think the one with the green scarf is very flattering.

153. Phyllis Kusnitz says:

Phyllis wrote

None of them..
    .’Sweet Salt Air’ Should have the feeling of Salt Air with an Ocean/Ocean Wave/White Caps/Sand and when you look at it you should almost feel that you experience the smell of the wonderful Salt Air…

154. I like all three, but I especially like the Awesome Outdoors the best.

155. The awesome outdoors all three are great, but the outdoors would go with the total of your new book. I’ve just started reading your books, i LOVE THEM. Can’t wait for the new one.

156. Cindy Hellebrandt says:

All three photos are great, but the awesome outdoors photo is more casual and friendly than the two studio shots. Love, love, love your books! :-)

157. jeanie longo says:

I Just finished reading Together alone which is the best book I ever read. I am Trying to get all your books now.
    You are awesome. Thank you for writing books.

158. Awesome Outdoors! You are absolutely stunning in all of them! <3

159. awesome outdoors. different than the ‘standard’ photo. Very flattering pics.

160. Donna Frati says:

Nothing says…”Sweet Salt Air”… like the Awesome Outdoors !!
    Love it…How do you keep looking younger and younger…amazing !
    xoxo

161. My favourite is “Goin’ Green”. The first one cuts you off at your knees and is too informal for my taste. I like the purple scarf but the lighting in the picture causes too much shine on your face. I think the Goin’ Green is a perfect shot. Having said that the choice should be yours (you get 2 votes for every one of ours). Choose the one that makes you feel like your most authentic self.

162. You look so fresh and fun-loving in the Awesome Outdoors. It says so much about you. Although beautifully done, the others are too formal. Save them for another occasion. My two cents!

163. Awesome outdoors…of course….to bad you did not have one of your wonderful beaded bracelets on too! Sue

164. Trudy Gerovske says:

My personal favorite is Goin’ Green! Though I agree that the Awesome Outdoors would probably go better with the book title, I feel that the amount of white in the picture washes out your face and hair. In the picture with the purple scarf, the left side of the photo seems to have too much light on your face. Goin’ Green has the best balance of light on your face and allows everyone to see your face to the best advantage. :-) Thanks for sharing the pix with us!!

165. Carla Creitz says:

Awesome Outdoors!! Hands down..

166. I agree with the majority – Awesome Outdoors!

167. Christine D says:

You look beautiful, as always. in each photo. But, I think Awesome Outdoors is clearly the best!

168. They are all beautiful. But, for me, awesome outdoors is the best one. Love your stories!

169. The Awesome outdoors is just gorgeous!

170. Awesome outdoors is my first preference, but if you would like a more formal picture then it would have to be Purple Passion.

171. Awesome Outdoors. The hair looks the best there!

172. I love all the photos, but my favorite is assume outdoors.

173. I know I’m late, but Awesome Outdoors. You look the most relaxed.

174. All 3 are great. My least favorite is Going Green but even it is gorgeous. Your hair, oh my it looks so good. The color is absolutely awesome. These pictures in my opinion are the best of all you’ve had done for books. You look so healthy and full of vitality.

175. Marie Ellen Logie says:

They are all beautiful pictures, but the “Awesome Outside” just pops out at you…..it is STUNNING!

176. Susan A. Fisher says:

It is so hard to pick just one. Every picture is truly you. Would love to see more, then I would really have a hard time choosing. I love the one purple passion but with the title of your new book I would have to say Awesome Outdoors. But you look beautiful in Goin’ Green. So I am having withdrawl waiting for the new book.